Tuesday, March 28, 2017 / by Leslie Herald
7 Things to Keep in Mind for your Next Renovation
1. Make a list of what you want to change. Look at websites and magazines to get inspiration for the redesign. Write down what you like and even why you like it and look online and at your local home store to get a price estimate. Once you know what you want to change, prioritize your list by ranking each item in order of what needs to get done first. Refer to your list throughout the project to help you stay on track.
2. Consider your resources: time, budget and energy. When deciding between an update and an overhaul, take into consideration the amount of time, money and energy that you'll have to invest.
3. Set a budget. Once you figure out how much you can spend, subtract 20% to 30% from this number and set it aside for contingencies.
4. Sketch it out. A rough sketch of the layout o the space will help you narrow down the fixtures, cabinets and storage options you'd like to incorporate.
5. Measure everything more than once. It may sound persnickety, but taking the time to measure things twice will help you to ensure that you don't need to make costly returns or corrections.
6. Replace the underlayment. If you're ripping up flooring and fixtures, consider replacing the underlayment. Not only does this allow you to start fresh, it also gets rid of any water damage, which commonly occurs in the humid bathroom environment.
7. Reduce the impact of the renovation. Move your stuff over to the bathroom that is not being remodeled before the work begins. That way you won't have to hunt for your favorite body wash or your disposable razors.